Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Say NO !!!



DISCLAIMER : This article is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental.

How difficult is it to say “no”? Why are we not able to say the simple two lettered word? I have been in zillions of situations where I forced myself to say YES instead of NO.

What are the possible reasons? I could think of the following :
  • I did not want to sound rude
  • I feared it would sever the relation I have with the person
  • I did not want to displease everyone
  • I did not want to create a bad impression
  • I did not want to cut a sorry figure
Think of the consequences. Be it at home, work place or with friends. You end up doing something you hate/dislike at the expense of yourself. The person who asked you to do *something* would be oblivious of your initial/continual disinterest.

Lets take up the example of workplace. Your Colleague asks for help. You being the good soul agree to cover in for him/her. You do not mind to sit late hours and complete the work as long as you do not want to displease your colleague. Such requests add up and eventually you end up being the "person" who can come to anyone's rescue.

What is the end result? You end up losing your quality time and are working late hours at office.
I am not asking you not to help anyone. Helping a person is different. But helping somebody at your expense continually is not encouraged.

One needs to master the art of saying NO.
Soon you would be so pissed at yourself, as you are the one who could not decline or say a NO and ended up losing your time.

Better late than never. Stand up for yourself.


I have started saying NO. And seriously, I feel a hell lot better !!! :))


Learn to say NO. I am sure the ones who care for you would not mind and the ones who just want their work done, would hunt for an another scape goat to fill your space! ;)

That's all for now... B.R.B !!!

3 comments:

  1. I dont have anyone who I can give my work to :( ..

    And I dont take anyone's work as well :D ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good... Helping someone is a good thing, but never let them make use of you. In such situations you have to have the courage say "NO". I don't know the "art" of saying "NO". But I do say NO when I think saying NO is the right thing. Yeah.. you are right, I had to pay heavy price for that, at times. But I am happy with that... !!!

    ReplyDelete