Saturday, June 25, 2011

Interests - Do they fade or hide ?


Yes people... my wonder mode is ON. And by wonder mode, I dont mean I can do something wonderful, I just mean I am going to torture you poeple writing about I wonder... :P So no luck there.

This happened a few weeks back, during one of my visits to Guruvayur temple. The Holy abode of Lord Sree Guruvayurappan.

As usual, there was a long queue of people who waited for the darshan. But this time, it was different. The queue was so long, it stretched halfway out. My family and me stood in the queue, as the queue slowly started progressing. The queue was of parallel rows. So, I had no choice but to look straight, admiring the board where the Dont's were specified. 'Do not carry your cell phone/Video camera/Camera/etc etc. Do not enter the temple wearing a lungi/banian/shirt/etc'. Well... there were many versions of the board. But in different languages such as English, Malayalam, Tamil. Being so jobless, I read the same content in all the 3 languages. Yes, I know to read Malayalam & Tamil, in spite of not having learnt it :P [Bragging point # 1]


Well, coming back to topic, after reading all the boards and stuff, I could hear music coming from the mandapam. Finally, when the queue progressed a bit forward, I could see that it was an 'arengetram' function. Please dont ask me what is arengetram. Google it. Its too complex to explain. :P Well.. Yes, coming back to topic, I saw 3 girls dancing to 'Alai payuthe kanna' song. No.. no references to the mani ratnam flick or maddy. This is a classical tamil song. The 3 girls were dancing beautifully. The steps were being executed so gracefully. The steps seemed too familiar. It was then I remembered my dance teacher had taught this song to us. Not the exact same steps, but very similar. I knew the exact steps which our teacher had taught us.

Everything which I thought I had forgotten, was there in the back of my mind. Just that I had not thought about it for years. To people, who do not know, I have been trained in Bharatanatyam [Bragging point # 2 ;)] Its true that I have not danced (Bharatanatyam) after I left school.


It was then I started thinking of all those hobbies/interests I do not do anymore.
I used to play the Guitar once. I still remember the day I could save enough pocket money to buy the Guitar. There were days when all day I used to irritate my poor family trying new new tunes on the Guitar. But now, the Guitar lies somewhere in my room. I have not even bothered to check if the strings are proper.

I used to paint a lot once upon a time. Won a hell lot of prizes for that. But, no signs of paint or brush in my room now.


What is it that has changed? Is it us? Don't we have time to pursue what we really enjoy doing? Aren't these all a part of who we are? Did not these help in defining who we have become? I feel I have lost the creative part of myself somewhere down the lane.


Am happy I still sketch. The only one interest that has clung on to me, no matter what.


That's all for now. Let me go, search for my Guitar and dust it and trouble my folks again :D :D buahahaha :P


B.R.B !!!
:)

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. I guess interests do fade, but most of the time, the cause of an interest fading is another interest (or stupid idiotic work) taking over the prime spot and shadowing the older interest :( ..

    P.S. Mere ko Guitar and Driving kab seekhaaying x-( ..

    Drawing sketching to as you know.. I am already a champ in :D B-) .. (Footballer and Independence Day Posters)

    Good Post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True... I guess its the latter reason....


    U know skecthing?? :P & All those posters?? :O U & Bippo literally murdered my piece of Art by coloring it :P :D


    Gud post? :O Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. think they r all there waitin for a little focus of attention to spot them again and thus to give some real meaning to existence... rekindle them... :) hey, thnx to give direction, lemme think abt my old interests... :)

    ReplyDelete